Find Me On Facebook

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Live & Learn

One of the first lessons that Vanny tried to impart on me in the Dynasty off season was to not making any moves between the trade deadline and the NFL Draft. There's no true gauge of talent as it's all a bunch of speculative mumbo jumbo with picks flying everywhere. I didn't take his advice and frankly (like the majority of times when I pass on good advice) it's come to bite me hard in the ass.

Chris Johnson traded away for Victor Cruz
From a 1 for 1 perspective, I think I came out ahead on this deal. The deal itself isn't a problem, it's the domino effect it created for my team. My team prior to that trade is as follows:

20 MAN ROSTER + 2 IR NON PPR
QB - Roethlisberger, Sanchez
RB - Foster, Johnson, F-Jax, Bush, Hunter, Royster
WR - Welker, Marshall, V-Jax, D-Jax, Williams (TB), Britt, Brown
TE - Graham, Finley, Celek
K - Rackers
DEF - Texans
Picks - 1.06 2.06 3.06 3.07

A couple of factors came into play when I made the initial trade. The biggest being I was helping one of the other guys in the league rebuild his team. He's the one that sent Cruz my way. If I'd taken more than 2 seconds I'd have blown off the deal from anyone else because I'd have looked at my roster, saw the depth at WR and realize that while it's an upgrade, the addition at WR wasn't needed as much as the depth at RB. I wanted to get an RB2 that would be in the same calibre as Johnson if not Johnson himself.

Britt + Williams + 2.06 traded away for Matthews
The current state of Peyton Manning sweepstakes makes both this deal and the CJ2K deal look far worse. Manning's addition to the Titans will instantly bump up all of their primary offensive weapons. I'd been holding onto Britt all of last year waiting to play him this year. However, the CJ2K domino dropped and I felt compelled to replace him. I don't consider Williams move a consequence either way. I've spent more than my fair share thinking that I blew it on the 2nd round pick though. My original offer involved this but moving up to 1.04 from 1.06 and it was declined. I should have stuck to my guns. The upgrade would have made it worthwhile.

Michael Bush traded away for 1.09
I have no issues with this move. I planned on moving him regardless of any prior changes. The Back depth in the early rounds this year is fantastic and he'll be replaced younger.

Antonio Brown + 1.06 + 1.09 for Chris Johnson (Pending)
This offer will be declined most likely within the next 24 hours. It looked to be locked up and then the trade situation was posed to DLF and the masses shit on it. Personally I thought I was giving the other owner too much. However, Manning is again messing with the entire situation and CJ2K's potential value. I was tempted to revoke the trade but will let it play out. If accepted I'll be done with all moves going into the next season. If declined, it'll shift my focus to draft very smart.

20 MAN ROSTER + 2 IR NON PPR CURRENT TEAM
QB - Roethlisberger, Sanchez
RB - Foster, Matthews, F-Jax, Hunter, Moreno, Royster
WR - Welker, Marshall, Cruz, Brown, V-Jax, D-Jax, Roberts, Royal
TE - Graham, Finley, Celek
K - Rackers
DEF - Texans, Bills
Picks - 1.06 1.09 3.06 3.07

In the end, I'm aware I came out losing in many ways based on one impulsive move with someone I frankly shouldn't be helping in the first place. Sometimes your friendship gets in the way of competitive spirit. Time and temperament would have yielded smarter decision making both in the initial transaction and subsequent moves to compensate.

Live and learn.

Don't doubt Vanny.

No comments:

Post a Comment